Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Freedom of Association....

It's interesting to realize that a purposed further cap on political donation can place limitations on your freedom of association....I think if a person wants to donate their hard earn money because they believe in a cause....by all means....

The $5000 limitation is not great either, but at least a person could attend all of the events in a year, if they so chose. $1000 wouldn't allow you to attend all of the events.

S.


Proposed $1,000 cap on political donations may violate charter
National Post
Tuesday, April 18, 2006
Page: A4
Section: Canada
Byline: Allan Woods
Column: National Report
Dateline: OTTAWA
Source: CanWest News Service

OTTAWA - The Conservative government's proposed $1,000 limit on individual political donations spelled out in the Accountability Act could violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, according to electoral law and political financing experts. Interviews with lawyers, interest
groups and academics suggest that measures to reduce the amount people can give to political parties to $1,000 from $5,000 may interfere with the right to freedom of speech. "It's not only about freedom of speech. It's also about freedom of association," said Scott Thurlow, an Ottawa lawyer familiar with party financing legislation passed in 2003 by the Liberals that capped individual donations at $5,000. "If I make my $1,000 contribution to the Green Party, and the Green Party has another event that I want to go to, I can't go to it because I've already made my contribution to them."

Mr. Thurlow said he is supportive of the bulk of the government's wide-ranging attempt to clean up the federal government -- Prime Minister Stephen Harper's first piece of legislation -- but said there is "no doubt in my mind" that the political financing measures constitute a constitutional violation, and he is not alone. "It's my money and my property and I don't think the government should be able to tell me what to do with it," said Gerry Nicholls, head of the
National Citizens Coaltion, an advocacy group that Mr. Harper himself used to lead.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the heckling there decoin! As Harper always puts it, "Canadians voted for change." Well technically, Canadians didn't vote for change. Under what I am guessing is proportional representation, the majority of Canadians didn't vote Conservative. But that is besides the point.

Harper is just doing his thing... Cleaning up government... Thank god we have a majority Senate!! I'd like to see some amendments made by Senators to the Accountability Act.

Harper is so keen on "impressing" Canadians with his Conservative agenda that he doesn't realize that he is just pissing some of us off. Just about every single Charter Right is going to be challenged by this administration. Freedom of Association (like Sarah pointed out), Freedom of the Press, Freedom of Expression.

When the issue of revoking the Same sex marriage bill, I get a little mad too... Not really sure what it is that Harper is trying to get at, but he sure is changing a lot of stuff. My most favorite Right under the charter goes as follows: "Every individual is equal before and under the law and has the right to the equal protection and equal benefit of the law without discrimination" Well Mr. Harper, that entitles me to get married, have a family and enjoy my life in my old age (not happening anytime soon).

One thing that I enjoy the most about a "new conservative government" is how all Harper's minister's are getting b**** slapped around Cabinet! Everytime one of the Minister's makes a comment regarding an issue that isn't one of the "5 priorities", they actually have to issue a press release saying that it was wrong of them to comment, which is one of the most embarassing things I've ever heard of! I think MacKay is going to be getting a little slap around Cabinet now that he has commented on gas prices. Where does he get off as Minister of Foreign Affairs to comment on gas prices? Is that not the Minister of National Revenue (not entirely sure)? Foreign Affairs has no part in gas prices...

I watch with eager anticipation everytime one of the Minister's gets on TV. But to bring it back to Sarah's point, a lot of rights under the charter are going to be challenged by this government, and it is our job as Young Liberals (and for everyone else) to get up and say, "Stand up for Canada! Sit down for Harper!" and make sure our voices are heard over these issues.

Awesome post Sarah, I'm glad you brought to our attention.

Thursday, April 20, 2006 at 9:10:00 AM EDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home